Wilkes-Barre Academy, Inc.
Small Wonders, Inc.
PTO Minutes of Meeting
Date: May 15, 2017
Time: 6:00 pm
Lisa Barth – President
Kristen Mazur – Vice President
Lisa Belles – Secretary
Jacqueline Elick - Treasurer
Regular Meeting Begins:
Meeting called to order at 6:00 pm in the school cafeteria by Lisa Barth, PTO President.
• Treasurer’s Report – Jacqueline Elick reported that the PTO fund total as of Monday, May 15, 2017 is $14,352.04.
Small Wonders: Ms. Debbie thanked PTO for purchasing a piece of playground equipment for children ages 2-7 years old.
• Night at the Races: Lisa Barth thanked everyone for helping with our annual Night at the Races. We were able to generate approximately $8,000.00 which will benefit our children here at WBA/SW.. The final amount of contributions from Night at the Races will be available at the end of the school year. Discussions for making the WBA/SW Night at the Races event even more successful for the upcoming year were discussed. Cletta reminded that this event is a lot of hard work and we need more help. Cletta said she wishes even more parents would please support us and attend.
• Fall Festival: We discussed whether we would be holding our annual Fall Festival for the upcoming year. A motion was made by Mrs. Huntzinger to continue to have the event and the motion was seconded by Miss Debbie. We will be sending out a “save the date” for this event in the future.
• Homeroom Parents: Lisa Barth discussed Homeroom Parent issues and how we need to list what the expectations are for our Homeroom Parents. We will revisit this issue again in the future to better define those expectations.
• Teacher Appreciation Week: Many thanks were given by members of the WBA/SW Staff for a wonderful luncheon event!
• Boxtops: Mrs. Huntzinger announced that Box Tops raised $2,878.54 as of May 15, 2017. Special thanks to Heather for all her help and hard work.
• Vouchers: Terri Smith announced that the last voucher sale for the school year will be Monday, May 22, 2017. The voucher summer schedule begins June 12, 2017 with voucher sales every other week. You can see a schedule of the voucher sale dates just outside the office. Terri Smith announced that the loan given to the Voucher Program was paid off.
• Student Council: Mrs. Poor was pleased to announce that with your Heifer Donations we were able to purchase/ supply:
• Send a girl to school!
• 1 goat
• 1 sheep
• 1 pig
• 1 flock of chicks, ducks and geese
• Glee Club: The Wilkes-Barre Academy Glee Club received First Place, Show Choir with an "Excellent" rating and the distinct honor of "Esprit de Corps" Award - only one is given each day of competition - there were over 30 schools competing!
• Terra Nova: Mrs. Huntzinger stated that for grades 2,4,6, and 8, the Terra Nova Scores are late coming in and we will get them officially in the mail.
• Report Cards: Final report cards will be given on Wednesday, June 7, 2017, on our final day of school.
• Moving Up Day: Mrs. Huntzinger announced that Move Up Day will be held on Wednesday, May 24, 2017 from 4:00 to 5:00 pm. The event is for our 4th grade students who will be moving up to Middle School. Ms. Yale will be sending out invitations.
• Science Olympiad: Ms. Robasky noted that the Science Olympiad Team was awesome and placed 23rd out of 36. Ms. Robasky thanked everyone for their support and Sam Fox thanked everyone for their generosity and help.
• STEM Education: Ms. Robasky reported that she went to a conference on electrical circuits and she is interested in doing an electrical circuit project for 5th and 6th grades. The cost for the project is $250.00. Funding for this project was approved without objection. Ms. Robasky requested $2,500.00 for 6th and 7th Grades for Programming Games for the STEM Program. A motion to approve this funding was made by Cletta Salavantis, which was seconded by Miss Debbie.
• School Local Wellness Program: Mrs. Huntzinger announced that we are in the process of completing our annual review of the school Local Wellness Policy, which is designed to encourage children to eat well, get exercise, and lead healthy lifestyles. Our school is doing quite well in achieving the goals outlined in our policy. Thank you for your support with our ongoing health initiatives.
• End of Year Celebration: This event is for Small Wonders and all students in WBA. It will be held the last week of school and includes a bounce house on Thursday, June 1, 2017 from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm. An ice cream truck will be at our school on Monday, June 5, 2017. Both events are sponsored by the WBA PTO.
• Library: Miss Donetta noted that there are free library books in the boxes on top of the cafeteria table. Please help yourself!
• Peer Tutor Pizza Party: Mrs. O’Toole requested $100.00 for a peer tutor pizza party for our 20-30 tutors. Funding for this was approved without objection.
• Conclusion: Ms. Yale and the WBA/SW Staff thanked the PTO for all their support.
• Meeting ended at 6:45 pm
***ADDENDUM Science Fair: Although not specifically discussed at the PTO Meeting, Ms. Robasky wanted to be sure we congratulated our 2017 Science Fair Winners!
•1 st – “Acids vs. Steele” – Hannah Fox
•2 nd – “Does the Amount of Air Pressure in a Basketball Affect the Height Which it Will Bounce?” – Cody Belles
•3 rd – “Which Fiber is The Strongest” – Waqas Arain
• Honorable Mention- “Does Music Affect The Video Game Score?” – Armaan Mansuri
• Honorable Mention – “Tomato Race” – Natalie Legge
This was the ﬁnal PTO meeting for this school year. Thank you for another great year here at WBA! LMB 05.15.17