Wilkes-Barre Academy, Inc.
Small Wonders, Inc.
PTO Minutes of Meeting
Date: Monday,January 13, 2020
Time: 5:00 pm
Lisa Barth – President
Kristen Cooper – Vice President
Brittany Holly – Treasurer
Audra Hughes- Secretary
Regular Meeting Begins:
Meeting called to order at 5:00 pm in the school cafeteria by Lisa Barth, PTO President. Lisa Barth welcomes everyone to the first 2020 WBA/Small Wonders PTO meeting. Lisa Barth asked if everyone received the minutes from the November 18, 2019 meeting and if any changes or revisions were needed. Ms. Yale made a motion to accept the minutes and Ms. Winters seconded the motion. The minutes were accepted.
- Brittany Holly states that the PTO Treasury Balance is $4,580.02. The fall fundraiser with Gertrude Hawk helped to boost the account.
- Night at the Races: Lisa Barth announced that the event is scheduled for Saturday, April 18, 2020 at St.Peter and Paul’s in Wilkes Barre, Pa. Night at the Races paperwork will be sent home shortly with all students and are available in the slots outside the office. We will need many volunteers to ensure that the event is successful.
- Doors will open at 6:30 P.M. and Horse Races start at 7:00 P.M.
- Planning meeting for Night at the Races will be scheduled in February. Chairpersons will be needed for the following committees:
- The class that sells the most horses will have a pizza party or a dress down day.
- Please remember this is WBA’s major fundraiser. The money raised is used to benefit the students and student activities such as: Hosting the Fall Festival, bussing for field trips, ice cream parties, holiday shop and many more activities.
- Holiday Shop: The Holiday Shop was successful, and the students enjoyed shopping. Thank you to all who volunteered.
- Scholastic Book Fair: The Scholastic Book fair will be held Monday, March 9th through Thursday, March 12th in the school library.
- Vouchers: Terri Smith stated 2018 credit slip are no longer valid. Terri Smith announced that Lori Vols has resigned from the Voucher Committee. Lori is thanked for her many years of service and support at WBA. Ms. Yale made a motion to send a gift card along with a Thank You card to Lori Vols. Mrs. Huntzinger seconded the motion.
- Box Tops: Lisa Barth stated the next collection for box tops will be held in March 2020. As a reminder and to help with the transition from clipping to scanning receipts through an app, a box is by the voucher area across from the office. Any non-scanned receipts can be placed in the box. The proceeds that WBA receives from the box top collection enables WBA to provide much need supplies for the classrooms.
- Ski Club: Terri Smith announced the Ski Club is up and running. Please encourage students that are interested to sign up. This is a wonderful opportunity to ski/snowboard and make memories. Sign-up sheet is located outside the Fourth Grade Classroom. Last Friday, nineteen individuals including Alumni attended with WBA. Family and friend are able to attend as long as they are associated with WBA.
- Student Council: Please check the Student Council Board for upcoming events and the status of the Student Body Participation Award. This award will travel with the winning grade to the next year grade. A Skating Party is scheduled for Thursday, January 16, 2020. School Spirit Month will be held in March on Tuesdays. Read Across America Day is scheduled for Monday, March 2, 2020. More information to follow. The Warrior Cat Dress Down Day was successful and Ms. Yale thanked all for their support.
- Drama: Ms. Yale stated that class plays are being held on Saturday, January 25, 2020 at the Ritz Theater in Scranton. There is a parking lot nearby for guest parking. No meter parking after 5:00 P.M. A reminder email will be sent home and posted in the school for play times and theater location. There is a café located in the theater that will be open.
- Science Olympiad: Ms. Robasky stated the Science Olympiad team is in prep mode and is moving along. The Northeast Regional Science Olympiad competition will be held at the Penn State Wilkes- Barre campus on Wednesday, March 11, 2020. States will be held on Saturday, April 25, 2020 at Juniata College in Huntingdon, Pa.
- Education: Mrs. Huntzinger stated second quarter report cards will be sent home on January 28, 2020 after class plays. National Testing for all even grades will take place on March 24th, 25th and 26th this year. The Middle School Geography Bee will be held on Wednesday, January 15th at 2:45 P.M. in the Eight Grade classroom. The winner will receive a gift card.
Other Topics: Lisa Barth reminded all that 2020 is an election year for PTO Officers. Nominations for President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary will take place at the next scheduled PTO meeting. If anyone has any questions or interest, please let us know! Next meeting will be held Monday, March 16, 2020 in the school cafeteria. *Please note that children can come to PTO meetings with their parents. They will be in a separate room with supervision during the meeting*. Motion made to end meeting.